The start of a new year is a good time to reflect upon the past year and set some goals for the year ahead.
Here are some things I learned from the year 2020 after experiencing a global pandemic and ten weeks of sheltering-in-place this spring:
- April is the longest month of the year.
- I don’t need to go to the grocery store every other day. In fact once a week or even less is entirely possible with a little planning.
- When I can’t be with my friends and family, the effort I take to connect with them is actually very rewarding.
- I should have bought stock in Zoom.
- Apparently I’m one of those people who doesn’t clean if no one is coming over.
In all honesty, I will be the first to admit that I haven’t been my best self this past year. The anxieties, the lack of control and the constantly changing “rules” have left me weary. Occasions that should have been festive and fun included anxiety and disappointment, robbing me of some of the joy. We have all experienced losses of one kind or another due to the pandemic and that is something to grieve. For those of you who have lost loved ones, jobs or businesses, we are truly sorry. Our hearts go out to you.
The Bible says there is “a time for everything,” including a time to mourn and a time to dance.
I, for one, welcome the start of a new year; a time to transition from mourning to dancing. Let’s make 2021 a year of celebration! Enough complaining about all that has changed. Let’s celebrate everything we still have!
Here are some things to celebrate going forward:
- Life and health – There are no guarantees. Each day is a gift.
- Relationships – We need people in our lives, and it is worth the effort it takes to connect with them.
- Small accomplishments – Sometimes just making it through the day is something to celebrate!
- Large accomplishments – Weddings, graduations, new babies, birthdays… these things are a big deal! Let’s be creative in finding ways to make them festive.
- Overcoming obstacles – Life is more challenging than ever. Overcoming difficulties is huge and worth applauding!
At Life’s Choices we would love to help you celebrate all of the above. If 2020 has left you fearful, discouraged or weary, we want you to know that 2021 can be different!
We are here to help you live life to the fullest. Our services are designed to promote a healthy lifestyle, whether it is your physical health, healthy relationships or mental, emotional and spiritual health. We celebrate YOU and will be your biggest cheerleader. Contact us today to learn more about our services.
Come for help, leave with hope!