Did you know that Life’s Choices has parenting resources to help you connect with your kids? We know it’s hard to keep everyone going strong, especially during a global pandemic like COVID-19! As a society, we don’t have a map to navigate the daily challenges we are facing and our children feel the stress around them no matter how hard we try to protect them.
WHAT CAN PARENTS DO TO HELP THEIR CHILDREN DEAL WITH THE CURRENT CRISIS?
Here are ten ways you can engage with your child during the coronavirus:
- Set the tone and atmosphere in your home –
Create a safe space to discuss fears and worries.
- Talk openly and start the conversation with your kids –
Be honest with what you know and what you don’t know. It’s ok to say “I don’t know.”
- Find ways to reestablish routines –
Predictability is a comfort for children, so keeping routines in place helps them feel secure.
- Be creative –
Play games, do crafts, play music, or go outside. Do anything to engage their senses to keep their brains sharp and keep boredom at bay.
- Teach coping strategies –
Reframe what’s going on so children don’t live in fear but teach them to be brave in spite of all the changes around them. Breathing techniques can help calm any anxious feelings.
- Let children & teens express how they feel and don’t be upset if any regression happens –
Don’t panic at their questions and be supportive.
- Reach out for help if necessary –
These are unprecedented times and finding a good counselor may be needed to get extra support.
- Don’t feel bad if you need a break from each other –
- Be OK with failing –
We all fail at times so have grace for one another on a daily basis.
- Teach gratitude –
Being thankful goes a long way in supporting our mental health.
A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE EXTERNAL RESOURCES
We would also like to share with you a list of our favorite book and website suggestions to provide you with extra support during this time.
- The 5 Love Languages of Children by D. Ross Campbell and Gary Chapman
- The 5 Love Languages of Teenagers by Gary Chapman
- Whole Brained Child by Dr Tina Payne Bryson, Dr Daniel Siegel
- Brainstorm by Daniel J. Siegel
- Screens and Teens by Kathy Koch
- 8 Great Smarts by Kathy Koch
- Boundaries with Kids by Henry Cloud and John Townsend
- Culture Translator at Axis.org
- Fuller Institute
- Growing Leaders
- Common Sense Media
- Bark Us (online protection for families)
CONTACT US FOR MORE RESOURCES
Life’s Choices has over 100 class options, and we are ready to offer online classes and phone or video sessions at any time. We offer mentoring on topics related to pregnancy, parenting, childbirth and relationships, and we’d love to connect with you. Give us a call or text today!
Kutztown: 610-683-8000 | Hamburg: 484-660-3526